Heads up Runners!
The Weekly Running Tuneup is moving to its new home in our app starting next week!
You can find this week’s workouts in the app already! Check it out!
It’s a good week for a tempo run!
If you are new to this concept, don’t worry. This is a great introduction to “speed work” or learning to sustain a speed higher than that of your usual long-run slog. Specifically, we will get your body used to handling a higher heart rate and cadence for a longer period of time.
40 minutes of running total
- 10 minute run @ “warm-up” pace or @ 5/10 perceived effort
- 20 minute run @ 7/10 perceived effort
- 10 minute run @ “cool down” pace or 5/10 perceived effort
Notes: There are no recovery breaks between sections. Move immediately from warm-up to the main set to cool down.
Let’s get strong.
No, we’re not just talking about getting a good sweat in. We’re talking about building strength for stronger, more efficient running.
You’ll need a set of heavy-ish dumbbells. Pick a weight you can control but, heavier than you’d normally grab for a circuit workout.
- 5-8 dumbbell deadlifts
- 5-8 squat-to-overhead-press with dumbbells
- 10 (5 per side) plank rows with dumbbells
Notes: Focus on good form. Rest as needed between sets.
Want a “cardio” version? Grab lighter dumbbells, increase reps to 15 per movement, and shorten the rests.
Checking in on our core strength with a Plank challenge!
Make 3 attempts this week at a plank hold for max time.
Plank Hold Reminders:
- Don’t forget to breathe
- Shoulders stacked over the wrists.
- Screw elbow pits forward so that shoulders and lats can provide support.
- Squeeze belly and butt tight.
- Don’t forget to breathe.
- Don’t let hips drop.
- Keep chin neutral and in line with the spine.
Remember: Post your results, comments, and questions in your Runner’s Community right in our app!